Creative Design & Marketing Assistant
The MCC is seeking a creative, advocacy-minded student to fill its Creative Design & Marketing Assistant position. The position requires familiarity and eagerness to work with student organizations, particularly organizations focused on multiculturalism or social justice issues. The ideal candidate is actively involved in social media/marketing/graphic design and has experience creating eye-catch promotional images and content.
The Creative Design & Marketing Assistant performs a wide range of graphic production/design, marketing and administrative support functions related to the development and completion of events and communications projects. This may include producing flyers, advertisements, listing proposals, PowerPoint, marketing emails and web pages, as well as taking pictures of events (on occasion). The position reports to the Publicist & Marketing Coordinator and interfaces directly with the entire staff to ensure that marketing and communications materials are on point and appropriately reflect the MultiCultural Center.
- Assist with managing and monitoring all MCC social media platforms
- Assist with the promotion and publicity of all MCC events and programs – i.e., overlook and participate in tabling, create posters and flyers, create Facebook events.
- Support with promotion and marketing campaigns
- Develop and research outreach strategies and opportunities to increase MCC recognition to campus and off-campus audience
- Research relevant community and campus contacts and update contact lists
- Assist in design for annual report
- Creating DigiKnow slides to advertise events to undergraduate students living in the Residence Halls
- Writing original copy for events, announcements, newsletters, press releases, etc.
- May be asked to attend events to promote via social media and/or assist with the management of event.
- Any other miscellaneous tasks assigned such as posting promotional materials, making announcements of MCC events at classrooms or group meetings.
- Strong interest in the mission of the MultiCultural Center
- Adobe Creative Suite experience preferred; Photoshop experience required
- Strong understanding of design—(color theory, typography, etc.) preferred but not required
- Sensitivity to the issues and concerns of marginalized communities, including people of color and people of diverse sexual orientations, ethnicities and cultural backgrounds
- Strong spelling and grammar skills; ability to write a good headline and caption is a plus
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to proof own work before presenting
- Customer service skills: welcoming, considerate, friendly and ambitious attitude
- Ability to interact with faculty, staff, other students and the general public in a professional and respectful manner
- Computer skills: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Email etiquette, etc.
- Work-study required
HOURS & COMPENSATION:
Hours: 8-10 hours/week, starting hourly is $12.50/hour First evaluation: 3 months
JOB START DATE: September 2018 (fall quarter), but will need to attend paid training sessions during spring quarter with current staff and attend a mandatory MCC retreat before fall quarter
To apply – include the following in your application:
n Cover letter
n GPA, year and major
n Graphic design samples/portfolio